Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday Travels: The Guggenheim Museum




Tuesday is Tuesday Travels so it's all about traveling. My Tuesday posts will cover New York activities, local travel, big trips, past trips, reviews of travel blogs and sites, and travel ideas. Basically anything related to travel!

As you know, if you've been following my blog, Jon and I are taking advantage of everything that New York City has to offer. We are currently on a quest to get to the major and some of the not so major museums. We only have a few left - once we've completed the quest I will post a ranking of NYC museums.

Most recently we spent a chilly day visiting the Guggenheim, one of the few large museums or famous museums left on our list. I had not visited the Gugegnheim since high school some 12-13 years ago and was excited to return because I remember the experience being a positive one.

The first thing you notice about The Guggenheim is the building itself. It's unique and beautiful and it's Frank Lloyd Wright people how could you not love it. We checked our coats, got our tickets & audioguides and proceeded to begin. I had remembered recently during Jury Duty hearing that The Guggenheim was meant for you to walk down from the top, which made sense to me. However, the museum staff had set up the visiting exhibit so that you traveled from bottom to top. This did not make sense to me. So Jon and I decided to go against the grain and visit the exhibit backwards.

The way The Guggenheim is set up there is art all along the center walkway as you make your way spriraling downwards but there are also wings off certain parts of the ramp where you can explore other exhibits. My problem with The Guggenheim is that they have this beautiful permanent exhibit tucked away on the 2nd level in alcoves off the main ramp - filled with Van Gogh, Kandinsky, Picasso etc and it's such a small part of the art in the museum. Therefore when you visit The Guggenheim the experience is really all about what special exhibits are currently visiting the museum. This is the case at many of the museums that we have visited in NYC. In some instances we have been very pleased with the special exhibits in other instances, such as our visit to The Guggenheim, we have been very disappointed.

The main exhibit, The Third Mind: American Artists Contemplate Asia 1860-1989, held very few pieces that interested us or inspired conversation between us. This was unfortunate because my hopes were so high for this museum. Obviously art is objective and this is just two people's opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I still think it's worth visiting, just make sure that the special exhibit is something you're very interested in exploring because it takes up most of the museum.
Post for Comments:
What is your favorite museum in New York City and why?
If you do not live in New York City or have never been to the museums in New York City then what's your favorite museum in general?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thank you Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?.