Monday, March 9, 2009

Monday Bookworms: Outlander


I was hoping to finish one of the 3 books I'm currently reading in time for today's post but alas I didn't. So I'm going to post a review on the book I finished prior to starting the 3 books I'm currently working on finishing - Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon.


This book was recommended to me by one of my high school girlfriends and college girlfriends. With a recommendation coming from two different directions I felt it was time to pick this book up. As a lover of all things historical fiction I was excited to see that it alternated between taking places in Scotland 1946 and Scotland 1743.


The premise is that Claire Randall is reunited with her husband after WWII and they decide to take a second honeymoon to Scotland. While there Claire finds this cirlce of stones (picture Stonehenge) and while leaning against one of them is catapulted through time to Scotland 1743. As she struggles to adapt to her new circumstances and works to get back to her husband Frank in the 1940's Claire encounters a band of Scotsmen who take her in and provide her with protection. One of them is Jamie Fraser. As she gets more and more entwined in her life in Scotland 1743 she struggles with her love for two men....


As you can tell from my description this book ended up being more of a romance novel than pure historical fiction. However, I still LOVED it. The character development of Claire and Jamie had me turning the pages to see what would happen. 850 pages later I was not disappointed and proceeded to begin on the second book in the series right away.


It had been a long time since I was so wrapped up in a book that I didn't want to put it down! I realized how much I had missed that. If you enjoy a some romance, great character development, peppered with a small amount of historical fiction you will certainly enjoy Outlander. If nothing else, you'll escape to Scotland 1743....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this!!!