Friday, March 13, 2009

Favorite Things Friday - Holy Cross


OK so anyone reading this blog who personally knows me knows that I went to Holy Cross, Class of 2001 baby!!!! And also knows that I LOVE EVERYTHING HOLY CROSS!

When I was applying for colleges I didn't want to apply to HC. I mean Worcester, MA, I had never heard of it and after living in NJ for 8 years my main goal was to get back down South to warmth and sunshine. My dad however, really really wanted me to apply to HC. So when I sent in my 6 college applications Holy Cross was one of the schools that got one.

To everyone's surprise (including mine) I got in. This changed things because I knew there was no way I was going to get away with not going to HC since it was the best school academically that I got into. So August of 1997 off I went to Worcester, Massachusetts to live in Hanselman 407.

Early on in my experience I decided that college was going to be what I was going to make of it. I made the decision right then and there that I was going to make it awesome and I was going to make it the college experience I had always dreamed of! I studied Spanish (although in hindsight I probably should have been a history major), I lived in Sevilla, Spain my junior year, I lived in Leon, Spain the summer after my Freshman year, I was an RA (resident assistant), I was a tour guide, a member of the purple key society, a volunteer at reunion weekend, I went on the spiritual exercises retreat (where I couldn't talk for 7 straight days and yes, I did it, I didn't talk for 7 straight day - I know it's hard to believe!), I did a spring break trip to Appalachia my senior year, etc.... These are just a few of the amazing memories and experiences that I have from HC.

Holy Cross was a huge part of what made me who I am, it's where I discovered myself and who I wanted to be, it's where I blossomed. I'm so grateful for all the things that HC gave to me, here are just a few:

- My husband Jon and I met first day of Class, Elementary Spanish of all things!
- My girlfriends: Amers, Megs, Kirsten and Al - go Hanselman 4! We get together every year for a HC Ladies Weekend and they are some of my favorite memories.
- My guyfriends: Jon (now my husband!), Gary, Forni, Dowling & Will. We get togehter often in NYC and it's great to have the group all together just like in the days of Wheeler One although perhaps a little more civilized!
- Dean Joe, a true friend and mentor. I was lucky enough to meet him my Sophmore year and share 4 years with him. I learned so much from him and there are not many days that go by that I don't think about Dean Joe and how he would handle certain situations, or what his answer might be to the 1,000 questions running through my head about life, religion, relationships, family, politics, and so on and so forth. I miss him!
- The close knit HC community! We all have our good friends but the great thing about Holy Cross is that we're ALL "good friends". Whenever you meet some one from HC there is an instant bond that you share of good times, memories and just the experience of living on the hill regardless of when you graduated and if you knew each other. We're a social bunch of fun loving, smart, successful, drinking fools and I wouldn't have it anyother way.
- Holy Cross was where Jon & I got engaged and got married so outside of being our college it will always have a very special place in our hearts.

I hope one day that one of our children thinks HC is the place for them, but more than that, I hope that regardless of where they go, they find happiness, great friends, support, guidance, and the space to become themselves, just like I did.

Post in Comments:

If you're a fellow HC Grad, what were some of your favorite memories, or things you're most grateful about HC?

If you're not an HC Grad, where did you go to college? Share what your college community was like.

PS - HC vs. American today at 4:45PM, winner take Patriot League Title and a spot in the March Madness Tourney! Go 'Saders, we'll be rooting for you!

No comments: