Friday, March 20, 2009

Favorite Things Friday - Netflix

Ahhh...Favorite Things Friday! It's fun coming up with what my favorite things are that I want to write about. Today it is NETFLIX. I became a netflix user in the summer of 2006. We were training for the Chicago Marathon and watching movies every Friday night because on Saturday we had to be up at 6:30AM to get our long runs in. We realized that it was cheaper for us to register for Netflix then it was for us to go to Blockbuster every Friday and pick out a movie plus there were no late fees if I forgot to return the movie on time. In addition, this was the summer when Jon was living in New York City and I was living in Boston so I had many evenings free. With Netflix I was able to rent television shows that I had missed when they were on or just watch chick flicks that I knew Jon wasn't going to want to watch with me on Friday.

There are many reasons I love Netflix, here are a few of them:

1 - I love mailing things, I know it's weird, but I do. Mailing my Netflix movies when I'm done is so satisfying.
2 - I love lists (in case you didn't know that already) so I love that I have a queue that I can add movies to at anytime. I have a problem manging my queue though which is why we currently have over 120 movies in it! It's a little overwhelming at times.
3 - Netflix has totally broadened our movie watching. Before when Jon and I would go to Blockbuster or Hollywood Video we would just browse the new releases. With Netflix we watch television shows, miniseries, old classic movies, new releases, documentaries and foreign films. We've watched movies and shows that we might never have explored if we had kept going to the video store evey now and again.
4 - We love how when all else fails and your plans fall through you always have a Netflix movie or show waiting for you. We rent two at a time, unlimited for the month, so there is always a red envelope with something waiting for us to watch!
5 - You can have friends on Netflix! You can see what they're watching, what they liked and what they didn't like, and this opens up your movie watching world as well.
6 - Netflix recommends movies for you. One of my favorite foreign films that I've seen, The Dinner Game, was a random French movie that Netflix recommended for me. I've recommended this movie to many people who have also loved it. Thanks Netflix!
7 - You can rate your movies. It's so easy to remember what you liked and didn't like, just type in the movie and look it up. Netflix keeps track of everything you've ever rated. I'm rating obsessed - as soon as we finish a movie (whether it's at home or at the movie theater) I'm logged on to Netflix to update our queue and rate the movie.

Those are some of the many reasons that Netflix is one of my favorite things. Tonight we're watching the last episode on The Wire, Season 2: Disc 3 then we get to return it for Disc 4!

Post in Comments:

Do you have Netflix?

If so, what do you most love about Netflix?

No comments: