Wednesday, August 8, 2007

When It Rains....It Pours!

Wow this morning's commute was an experience! There was major flooding early this morning in NYC and surrounding areas. If there is one thing I have learned in the short 6 months I have lived in the city, it's that whenever there is any significant amount of precipitation, be it rain or snow, the transportation in this city becomes a mess and you can count on delays.

This morning I got a call from my DH, and he informed me that none of the subways were running. That seemed crazy to me so I turned on the news and sure enough no subways were running. He asked me to look up the buses to see if he could find a bus that would take him downtown. In the end he found a cab (a miracle!) and was able to get to work at a relatively decent hour.

I quick got up and got ready knowing that it was going to take me awhile to get to work. I waited for awhile at the bus stop across the street from our building only to learn it only comes every hour. Then I headed over to Broadway hoping to hop on the M6 downtown. I was probably the 60th person online for that bus. After 3 buses passed us with only 5-10 people getting on over the course of 20 minutes I realized that wasn't going to work. So along with many New Yorkers this morning I decided to walk the 4 miles to work.

I decided to look at it as an adventure since I wasn't going to get there any faster any other way. It was pretty amazing - there were hundreds of people walking downtown - hundreds! I must say that everyone was in a pretty pleasant mood given that it was in the high 90's and everyone was walking to work. Everyone was sweating a ridiculous amount - and just trucking down the street. I walked Broadway the whole way with my DH giving me updates on how much farther I had to go because I really didn't have a great concept of where I was at times. People were making friends with those walking around them and people met up with friends and co-workers who were walking in the same direction. It was one of those moments of camaraderie. Personally I thought walking to work (although I was pretty hot) was a very relaxing way to start my day.

It'll be interesting to see if things are up and running 100% by the time we leave.

No comments: