Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Stardust, by Neil Gaiman (***)

After seeing a preview for the movie Stardust I decided to read the book. Whenever I can, I prefer to read the book before I see the movie, also I was excited to give this particular author a try since I had heard a lot about him.

Stardust takes place in an English town called Wall. One night when accompanying his "crush" Victoria Forrester back to her house, Tristan promises to bring her back a falling star they see in exchange for anything his heart should desire. Victoria believes he'll never do it so she tells him to bring it back. The next day Tristan sets off through the gap in the wall to Faerie, the magical land on the other side of the wall, in search of the fallen star. A magical, fairytale ensues.

I enjoyed the story very much and Tristan is a very well developed character. Aside from Harry Potter it was my first foray into science fiction and I think I would really enjoy reading more stories like this. My only complaint about the book is that it really should be tagged under young adult reading based on the writing level. I am very much looking forward to seeing the movie so look back for my review!

No comments: