Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Kingdom - 4 Stars, Maybe 4 1/2 stars

Tuesday night was movie night - yay! I love movie night. When Jon and I first started dating we would go to the movies every weekend almost - it was our thing. Now however, Jon doesn't have as much free time to go to the movies so we go when we can and I go with my girls on other nights. I don't know what it is about a night out at the movies - but I love them!

I met up with my friends Emily and Shion at the Times Square theater (because it's pretty central for all of us). We had originally wanted to see December Boys, the Daniel Radcliffe movie, to see if he's going to be able to have success beyond Harry Potter but unfortunately after only 2 weeks in the theaters here it was already gone. Which reminds me, I should add it to my netflix que.

In it's place we decided to go see the new action packed movie, The Kingdom. Now, I was very excited to see this movie because it's got my girl J. Garner in it - love her!

The plot of the movie is that there is a bombing at a Western housing compound in Saudi Arabia, so the FBI sends over an elite team to track down the terrorists. When they arrive however they discover that they are limited to what they are allowed to do, where they are allowed to go, and what they are allowed to touch. The story unfolds and as they say in the previews "the last 20 minutes will leave you glued in your seat!" It was very true - the last 20 minutes are intense and action packed.

I have to say I really enjoyed this movie (now I'm a little biased because of my girl J. Garner, I'll admit it) but I thought it was a really interesting movie about things that are really happening in our world now (granted maybe presented in a little bit of a "Hollywood" kind of way). I was most surprised by how funny it was - Jason Bateman's character provides a lot of comic relief during the movie which lightened up what was a heavy movie.

I give it two thumbs up (or 4-4 1/2 stars!)

No comments: