Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Gone With the Wind - A Classic! (5 Stars)

Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

Why oh why did I wait so long to read this book? I really don't have an answer to that. Gone with the Wind is my friend Katie's absolute favorite book and for years she's been telling me that I really should pick it up. So when my friend Shion was willing to loan it to me I decided there is no time like the present.

I must admit that I started this book once before, made it 100 pages and then put it down and returned it to the library. 1,024 pages is intimidating even for an avid reader such as myself. Especially when the pages are so small and the print so tiny, but alas, I picked it up again.

Again I struggled in the beginning, not that it wasn't good but I just didn't feel that I was making progress when I was reading. In all fairness to the author, Margaret Mitchell, it takes awhile to set up everything in a book that is over 1,000 pages.

OnceI got to about page 300 I really hit my stride and couldn't put the book down. I was blown away by her character descriptions, truly blown away. I felt as if I was Scarlett O'Hara's neighbor, and I knew all of these people and knew all of my surroundings, her description was that good. On top of that it was an amazing story with great dialogue. I soon realized why this book is an American Masterpiece. When I turned the last page I was sad, sad that I was leaving this world and sad to be leaving the characters.

This is a classic that everyone (woman or man) should read (at least once)! It is not to be missed!

No comments: