Monday, September 10, 2007

two 3-star movie reviews

Two movies that I watched this past week were The Closet or La Placard (a French Film) and Barefoot in the Park.

The Closet (La Placard) is the story of a boring accountant who works at a runner plant who finds out accidently that he is going to lose his job. A friend of his suggests that he "come out of the closet" and create a new life for himself and interesting sub-plots are created...The movie stars Daniel Auteuil, Gerard Depardieu, and Thierry Lhermitte.

It is a cute idea and a funny movie at parts - but it is also predictable and silly at times. Overall, it was an enjoyable movie to watch but it was slow at parts and not as funny as I had hoped!

Barefoot in the Park is the story of Corie and Paul Bratter, newlyweds who move into a SMALL apartment in the Village. They have to deal with a broken radiator, a hole in the sky light (mind you it's New York in February) and a building full of crazy neighbors. Well, their newlywed bliss survive this and their complete opposite personalities? The movie starts Robert Redford and Jane Fonda.

Thankfully my friend Jen advised me that in no production (movie or theater) did she love the character of Corie. She is just too over the top for me to believe (maybe that's because I'm too much of a "stuffed shirt" - hehehehe!) She rankled my nerves through the first half of the movie. However, the premise is cute and the characters are certainly interesting. Not one that I would tell a friend they should run out and see but it's a Redford classic nonetheless.

No comments: