Thursday, May 21, 2009

Entertainment Thursdays: AFI's 10 Top 10 Challenge

Jon and I have decided to begin a movie challenge! A couple of months ago we watched the AFI's 10 Top 10. We were shocked by how many movies we have not seen that were on the AFI's 10 Top 10. So we decided not too long ago that we are going to try to watch all 100 movies. We're going to watch them one genre at a time and where we can we're going to go from 10 down to 1. I'm going to review them as they are watched and then once all 10 in a genre have been seen I'm going to put what are thoughts were on the list overall. Were they in the right order? In our opinion was there a movie not on the list that we felt should have been? Vice versa was their a movie on the list we really didn't feel deserved to be there? You get the picture.

The 10 genres are: Animation, Romantic Comedy, Western, Sports, Mystery, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Gangster, Courtroom Drama and Epic. I think it is realistic for us to finish this up in 2-3 years (that would be about one movie a week...OK maybe 3-4 years...we'll see how it goes!) We are going to re-watch any movie that we have already seen unless we've seen it within the month that we started the genre. We are starting off with the Gangster genre (that wouldn't have been my 1st choice but we recently just watched The Godfather and The Godfather II so we figured 2 movies down let's just start there...unfortunately we watched the out of order but I'm going to review them in order.)

So here we go....

#10 in the Gangster Genre is:
Scarface
Release Date: December 9, 1983
Duration: 170 minutes

Scarface is the story of Tony Montana, a small timer from Cuba who recently emigrated to the United States. He begins to work with Frank Lopez and as he earns more trust and responsibility he also earns more money and power making him unable to stop as he rushes to get what he wants to ultimately be the lead guy. Will anything stop him from getting what he wants? How long will he be able to hold it all together?

So we were really excited, here we were starting our movie challenge, and watching a movie that we'd heard of with stars that we knew (namely Al Pacino as Tony Montano) and boy were we disappointed.

Scarface is totally 80's. It is so cheezy it had me laughing when I should have been covering my eyes. The music, the hair, the outfits...it was HILARIOUS! I just felt compared to other Gangster movies I had seen this did not cut it. It was pretty horrible from beginning to end. The story was the same as every other gangster movie (guy starts to get power hungry, guy tries to take over the mob, guy takes over the mob and realizes that it isn't that easy, guy loses control and everything falls apart) and it just didn't have anything to me that really made it stand out except for it's ridiculous cheeziness.

I would give it 2 stars, Jon said he would give it 3 stars. I'd say take it or leave it (unless you too are working your way through AFI's 10 Top 10!)

Post in Comments:

What genre are you most excited to see me review?

I personally am looking forward to the mystery genre and western genre!

No comments: