Thursday, May 14, 2009

Entertainment Thursday: 1776, The Musical


Ah...what's that you say...you didn't know that 1776 was a Musical? Well, it is and it's fabulous!!! Maybe it's a Jersey thing, but I grew up on the musical 1776. A musical about the writing of the Declaration of Independence and the birth of our nation. I own the DVD, I've seen the show on Broadway, I've had sing-a-longs of the whole soundtrack on school field trips, and a couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of seeing the production once again at the Paper Mill Playhouse.

My mother, grandmother and aunt have season tickets to the Paper Mill Playhouse. With those season tickets you get two opportunities to purchase just two tickets to any show that season for just $20. My mother has been kind enough since I've returned to let me know the season ahead of time and ask me what I'm interested in seeing. Since I've been home, I've accompanied them to Kiss Me Kate, Little Shop of Horrors and Oklahoma.

Well, 1776 is soooo good, that not only did I go but my sister and my uncle went as well! We had lunch beforehand at David Burke's, Restaurant M.C. (Foodie Wednesday, Restaurant Review to follow soon...) and then walked over to the theater for the show.

The set is basically Independence Hall and John Adams, Ben Franklin & Thomas Jefferson are the main characters in the play. The music is fun, the history lesson is always important, and I thought the Paper Mill's production was so good, I almost cried at the end (they almost had me)!

If you are a history buff, this is definitely a movie you should rent, if not, then you probably think I'm incredibly dorky! For me, I know that if it ever comes back to Broadway, I'll be there!

A congressional incubator, Lord knows that the temperature is hot enough, to hatch a stone, but let alone an egg.

Post In Comments:

Have you seen 1776? What's your favorite song from the soundtrack?

No comments: