Thursday, November 29, 2007

Band of Brothers - Absolutely 5 Stars!



The other night Jon and I finished watching Band of Brothers, an HBO mini series. Jon had already watched it back in January when he first moved to NYC and really wanted me to watch it. I was hesitant for all typical female reasons - "goryness"! War movies can be tough and I wasn't sure I was up to the challenge. Jon, knowing how much I love history and character pieces, in the end convinced me I should watch it with him. The mini series is made up of 10 one-hour episodes, more or less, with a one-hour documentary piece at the end.
I have to say that not only am I SO incredibly glad that I watched this mini-series, but I also strongly recommend it to everyone!
Band of Brothers is the story of Easy Company, the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, U.S. 101st Airborne Division. It follows this group of men from the beginning of their training for the war and follows them until the end. Showcasing the hardship that they went through, the lives lost, the courage of the men that lived, and all the things they saw and experienced in between. It's based on the real Easy Company and the documentary at the end has interviews with the real men of Easy Company (those still alive) talking about different battles, different jumps, different experiences show cased in the mini-series.
I believe this is an incredibly imporant piece of work that all should watch. Especially, being someone a couple of generations removed from those that fought in WWII, it provides you an insight into what they went through and what they survived. Incredibly moving, these are characters (although really "real" men) that you will be rooting for and willing to live through the war.

No comments: