Friday, November 2, 2007

Pygmalion

Last Tuesday, I had the pleasure of seeing Pygmalion, starring Claire Danes, on Broadway!!! We had a theater benefit for work and all the staff got to see the show too. One of the things I was most excited about being in New York for was to see Broadway shows so needless to say I was excited to see Pygmalion and even cooler that it was starring Claire Danes.

Now, I'm not usually a big fan of dramas, I much prefer the big fanfare of the musical on Broadway, so that combined with the mixed reviews made me a little less enthusiastic about this outing. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised!!!

My seat was in the mezzanine, but I have to say, at The American Airlines Theater, which houses the Roundabout, there really isn't a bad seat in the house as it's such a small theater (only 700+ seats). The very first scene I didn't understand anything they were saying, because of the Cockney accent. People were laughing at jokes and I was sitting there thinking, "boy, it's going to be a long night if I can't understand this whole play." However, after the first scene the accents died down and it was actually a really entertaining show with just the right amount of humor. Claire Danes was great, but was totally overshadowed by the performance of Jefferson Mayes, he was fantastic!!!!

Now, I'm going to definitely have to see My Fair Lady (I know - gasp - I haven't ever seen it as a play or a movie!)

Ahhhh...I love going to the theater. Only a little over a month before I get to go again, to see Jennifer Garner and Kevin Kline in Cyrano de Bergerac! I can't wait....

No comments: