Friday, December 14, 2007

Atonement - 4 Stars

I go through spurts - lots of movie reviews and periods of long droughts! This week Jon and I were not on the same schedule. The nights that he was home early and in for the night, I was out late and vice versa. Thus we scheduled a date night for Friday night so we could spend some time together. We worked out, had dinner and then went to go see Atonement.

Atonement is based on the book of the same title by Ian McEwan. It is the story of Cecilia, a wealthy young girl and Robbie, the housekeepers son. They grew up together as close friends and are just discovering that they love each other. Cecilia's sister, Briony, however harbors a girlhood crush on Robbie and at one point in the movie makes a crucial misjudgement altering the course of all their lives forever.

I was skeptical about this movie because I had heard mixed reviews about the book, and having read McEwan I could understand why. However, being nominated for so many Golden Globes, I thought maybe it'll be good. I have to say I was very impressed. It's not a movie that's going to blow you away, its a nice slow and steady romantic drama. It is shot in such a way that it reminded me of an old romantic classic. I thought that the acting was very good, the way the the movie was shot (with the attention to detail and music) was superb, and the story was actually interesting. Overall we both walked out of the theater pleasantly surprised and I have to say I may be rooting for this movie to win at least one of it's many Golden Globe categories.

4 Stars

No comments: