Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Catching Up on Movie Reviews - Seriously!

I apologize for being neglectful to my blog. I've had a couple of crazy weeks at work, which is a good thing, and between 6 events in 2 weeks and the insane amount of baseball watching I've been participating in blogging just didn't get done. Today is my first non-hectic day in awhile so I'm going to take advantage and post a ton of stuff that I've been wanting to post that way I can get caught up. Get ready to read:)

In Her Shoes - 4 stars
This was a movie that I had at my house from netflix for a month. Finally I decided to put it in just for the sheer purpose of being able to return it and found myself pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. The premise is that Maggie (Cameron Diaz) is the partying, non-responsible sister, whose behavior no one in the family wants to tolerate, including her perfectly successful, perfectly together sister Rose (Toni Collete). One day, Maggie discovers that they have a grandmother they never knew. With nowhere left to go and no one left to turn to, Maggie heads to Florida to find out what the story is. It is there that she finds herself and discovers what is truly important to her.

It is a very heart warming movie about how every person has good in them, some just get lost along the path of discovery. It's cute and funny and if you're looking for a light hearted movie I would recommend it.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age - 2 Stars
I was really excited to see this movie because I so enjoyed the first one that came out in 1998. I also enjoy historical fiction, specifically from this time in history, so I thought this one would be right up my ally. Jon and I went on a Saturday afternoon (pre-baseball game, priorties people!) and were unfortunately incredibly disappointed. While the cinematography (not that I really now much about that) and the costuming were incredible there just wasn't much to the story at all. It felt like they made the movie to make a sequel off of something that was successful the first time, hoping they could capitalize on it again. All in all it was just OK but not at all worth seeing in the movies, IMHO.

Gone Baby Gone - 4 1/2 stars
Gone Baby Gone is based on the novel written by Dennis Lehane. Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are detectives who find missing people, so when a little girl, Amanda, goes missing the little girls Aunt hires them to find her. Set in Dorchester, MA Kenzie and Gennaro begin to unravel the mystery around Amanda's disappearnace and find that it's more than meets the eye.

If you enjoyed The Departed and Mystic River then you will enjoy Gone Baby Gone, Ben Affleck's directorial debut. Jon and I talked about the movie the whole way home, just unraveling it in our heads and talking about what we would have done. I think this one is worth seeing.

No comments: