Friday, February 20, 2009

Favorite Things Friday - Sara Barielles



It's that time of the week again (sorry that I missed last week - Friday snuck up on me!) This week I'm going to write about my favorite artist of 2008! I'm sure you all know Sara Barielles' poppy hit "Love Song". Well after seeing that song in a commercial I decided to preview her album on iTunes and ended up buying it. It's the best iTunes purchase I have ever made. I could (and do) listen to this cd endlessly, I never get sick of it, I have a hard time deciding my favorite song because as I'm listening to one song I'll be thinking "oh...this is definitely my favorite" and then it ends and the next song begins and I'm thinking "oh...this is definitely my favorite".

The rest of the cd is not as poppy as "Love Song" is - it's a great mix of upbeat music, slow songs, and creative lyrics. "Love Song" is still one of my favorite songs on the CD (in part because I do not listen to the radio so it hasn't been overplayed for me) and in part because I love why it was written. The story goes that her record label asked her to write a love song and her response was the song "Love Song", but if you listen to the lyrics carefully you'll see that she was writing just the opposite. See below:

Head under water
And they tell me to breathe easy for a while
The breathing gets harder, even I know that
You made room for me, but it's too soon to see
If I'm happy in your hands
I'm unusually hard to hold on to
Blank stares at blank pages
No easy way to say this
You mean well, but you make this hard on me
I'm not gonna write you a love song
'Cause you asked for it
'Cause you need one, you see
I'm not gonna write you a love song
'Cause you tell me it's make or breaking this
If you're on your way
I'm not gonna write you to stay
If all you have is leaving
I'mma need a better reason to write you a love song today
Today

If you don't own the CD or haven't listened to any of her other songs here is a sample of my favorites (as best as I could pick them!)

"Fairytale" - the lyrics are so clever in this song - I love it!

Two other songs that I love are: Between the Lines and Many the Miles.

Definitely check her out - you won't regret it - it's a great CD!

No comments: