Friday, February 8, 2008

MOMA - Free Fridays

So in my quest to continue to take advantage of all that New York has to offer, I stumbled upon Free Fridays at the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art!) From 4-8PM you walk up to the admission counter tell them how many tickets you need and they hand them to you. Obviously there are A LOT of people in the museum taking advantage of being able to get in for free, but if you can get over the crowd, it is well worth it.

We decided to start on the 5th floor and spend our entire 1 1/2 hours that we had allotted for our visit on that floor. Since we didn't pay to get in and we can come back any Friday we want, we didn't feel the need to try and see the whole museum in one visit. It made the experience much more manageable and made the museum seem smaller and more welcoming for a visit.

I had not been to the MOMA since I was in highschool and I forgot what wonderful art adorns its walls. We got to see Van Gogh, Miro, Matisse, Picasso, Cezanne, Kandinsky, and countless others. Here are some of my favorite pictures that we saw:

The Starry Night - Vincent van Gogh
The Storm - Edvard Munch
Street Light - Giacomo Balla
Violin and Grapes - Pablo Picasso

I cannot wait to go back and explore another floor! What a great way to start out any weekend.

No comments: