Monday, February 4, 2008

Modern Art - Love it or Leave it?

Ok, so despite my friend Christina's warning about The New Museum in NYC, when my cousin called and asked if I wanted to go with him and a friend one night I said yes. And I have to say that I should have listened to Christina!

I went with an open mind, because even though I don't always appreciate and/or understand Modern Art, it is always good to go outside your comfort zone and have new experiences. The museum itself is a beautiful modern open space. The exhibits take up really 3 floors and when you walk out onto a floor you can basically see each piece and then it's just a matter of how you want to explore the floor.

There were 1 or 2 pieces that I felt showed effort and substance, that spoke to me but other than that I can't really say that I understood much of what I was looking at. Why is this considered art? was a question that ran through my head as I stood staring at many of the pieces.

There was one women's collages who I really liked, Martha Rosler. I just thought it was an interesting perspective on the war. It made me think...

The New Museum has rotating exhibits, however I don't think I'llbe in any rush to head back!

No comments: