Thursday, January 15, 2009

New York, New York!

So back at the end of 2008 I mentioned that Jon and I would be moving to Hoboken. Little did I know that I was telling you all a fib! Ok, well an unintentional fib. We started looking in Hoboken and since February 1st is such a bizarre time to be renting a place we just weren't finding what we were looking for. Jon went back to our landlord and negotiated our rent down so we're staying in the NYC for another year!

I have to say, when I first moved here I didn't embrace it. I missed Boston, I missed our friends in Boston and running in Boston...well you get the picture. New York to me at that time was just crowded, exhausting, expensive, pushy and too big!

How surprised was I to find that I was sad at the prospect of leaving NYC. When we were talking about our move I found myself saying I'm going to miss the convenience of everything (the museums, the restaurants, the theater, etc, etc). I'm going to miss all of our great New York friends. I'm going to miss our apartment and being able to walk wherever we need to go. And so on, and so on. So how happy was I when we decided to stay? So Happy! Another year and I want to make the most of it!

Here is the list I posted back in 2007 when I started this blog of all the things that Jon & I wanted to do in NYC while we were here. We've been pretty good about getting out and experiencing the city. I've bolded everything we've done and added some new ones. I'll keep you posted on our progress!

1) Go to the top of the Empire State Building
2) Visit Museums (Moma, Frick, Folk Art Museum, the MET, Museum of Natural History, The Museum of the City of New York, Guggenheim, Whitney, Tenement Museum, and the Skyscraper Museum.)
3) See Broadway Shows (Pal Joey, The Drowsy Chaperone, Avenue Q, Cyrano de Bergerac, A Chorus Line, Pygmallion and Jersey Boys. We have tickets in February for South Pacific and tickets in March for Phantom of the Opera.)
4) Explore Central Park (run in CP, rent a row boat in CP, take a walking tour of CP, go ice skating in CP, etc)
5) Visit the Botanical Gardens
6) See the Radio City Music Christmas Show!
7) Watch the balloons for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade get blown up!
8) Hike in the Adirondacks
9) Give my DH the true Jersey Shore experience
10) Take the Circle Line tour
11) Bike around the Island of Manhattan
12) Try to see the David Letterman Show
13) Visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
14) Take the Staten Island Ferry
15) Explore all the different neighborhoods of NYC (Brooklyn, Battery Park, UWS, UES, LES, Little Italy, Soho, the Village, Midtown, Hell's Kitchen, etc)
16) Become more involved in Red Sox nation in NYC
17) Take one of those Red Bus Tours through NYC
18) Go to Medieval Times
19) Go to the Bronx Zoo
20) Visit the Cloisters (that's for you Mom!)
21) Go to a Little Italy festival
22) Spend some time exploring and appreciating Grand Central Station
23) Visit the Intrepid
24) Carnegie Hall & Deli
25) Top of the Rock Observation Deck
26) Dare I say, New York City for New Year's Eve....we'll see!
27) Eat at Peter Luger's
28) Walk from the top of Manhattan (Marble Hill) to the tip of Manhattan (Wall Street) via Broadway
29) Ulysses S. Grant's tomb
30) Tour the Wall Street Area (eat at the pub where Washington used to eat, Trinity Church, the bull, etc)
31) Explore Chelsea Market

Also, if anyone has any fun suggestions I'm all ears. So leave a comment!

2 comments:

shi said...

Ooo! I can be your Upper West Side tour guide and I'll take you to Grant's tomb! Yay!

-shi

Michelle said...

You guys will LOVE South Pacific, it was wonderful. And I really think you should focus on #16 and perhaps even move it into the #1 spot :-)