Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Krik Krak, Edwidge Danticat - New Classics Challenge

I am on a roll (thanks to Jury Duty!) Right after I finished Practical Magic I decided why not just read another book for the New Classics Challenge. So I picked up Krik Krak by Edwidge Danticat. This book was recommended to me by my friend Shion last year when we went to the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Edwidge Danticat was one of the authors that spoke at the event (eloquently I might add). So this book pick was an easy decision for me!

Krik Krak is a compilation of 9 short stories that all take place or involve characters from Haiti. Each story is short yet powerful. The writing is beautiful and the flow of the book even though they are short stories is enjoyable. The stories speak of massacares, escapes, governments run by dictatorships, but yet at the same time they speak of love, pride, family, and strength of person.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was sooo different from Practical Magic, it just had more substance and was more beautifully written, that it is hard for me to believe they were both on the New Classics List. Krik Krak I would consider a fine piece of literature and would recommend to those who have enjoyed books such as Things Fall Apart. I will certainly read Ms. Danticat again!

2 comments:

shi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shi said...

I'm so so glad you liked it! When you're ready for more Edwidge Danticat, I have Breath, Eyes, Memory waiting for you on my book shelf!
-shi